Your privacy rights
How we collect information about you
6) Your personal information will be collected and held by Aera 22 Opco Limited, Level 9/55 Shortland Street, Auckland, 1010, New Zealand.
8) We may collect Personal information about you when: 8.1 you register interest in or apply for our Services, including our high yield savings accounts and rent-to-own products; 8.2 you access one of our digital platforms like our website; 8.3 you subscribe to any newsletter or publication of Aera; 8.4 you participate in, or otherwise attend, any event, marketing campaign, competition, promotion or similar event run by Aera or our representatives; 8.5 you provide details to us in any feedback or contact us form; 8.6 you grant access to collect information from your financial accounts (which we may collect and process using service providers); 8.7 you otherwise contact us through social media, email, telephone or other means; 8.8 you apply for employment or a volunteer position with us; or 8.9 we are required to do so by law.
10) When you use our website, we may collect non-personally identifiable information that is sent to us by your computer, mobile device or other access device. The information that is sent to us may include your computer IP address, referral URL, geo-location and data about the webpages that you access.
11) When you use our mobile application, we may access your contact list for the purpose of improving your experience. For example, you may search your contact list when creating a list of favourite payees, or to quickly find a contact to send money to using peer to peer transfer. In most cases, in order to access your contacts you will be asked to grant us permission, which you can allow or deny. You select what contact list information you provide to us. You consent to Aera accessing your contact list and personal information for the purposes consistent with this policy.
12) If you choose not to provide personal information to us on request, we may be unable to provide certain Services to you, or it may affect the quality of those Services. Please contact us if you are unsure what information is important and how this might affect you.
How we use and disclose information that we collect about you
14) Where you consent to us using your personal information for marketing and promotional communications, you can opt out at any time by notifying us at email@example.com or by clicking the unsubscribe function included in any of our marketing communications.
Who we may disclose your personal information to
15) We may disclose your personal information to: (a) our related companies; (b) your joint applicants or any guarantors of your obligations to us; (c) any lenders or advisors that we may partner with to facilitate the provision of our Services; (d) credit reporting and debt collection agencies; (e) any service providers that we have engaged to provide a service to us in relation to our Services. For example, we may engage third parties to provide us with IT, marketing or customer support services; (f) our professional advisors, including accountants, insurers and lawyers; (g) any other person or organisation that you have authorised us to disclose your information to; and/or (h) government departments, regulators, and any other third party where such disclosure is permitted under the Privacy Act 2020 and/or any other applicable law.
16) We may use credit reporting agencies to check your financial status when applying for certain Services, and to monitor your creditworthiness during your relationship with us. We may give your information to those agencies, and they may supply us other information they hold about you in relation to your financial status. We may also let them know when you have and have not met your payment obligations to us.
17) Credit reporting agencies use of your personal information is governed by their own privacy policies and they may use the information we provide to update their credit reporting databases. When other individuals and organisations use the credit reporting agencies’ services, they may also be provided with this updated information.
Access, correction and retention of your personal information
18) You confirm that any information you give to us will be accurate, correct and up to date. You can update your personal details at any time by contacting us at firstname.lastname@example.org.
19) You are entitled to access the personal information we hold about you, and to request that we amend it if it is incorrect. If we are not willing to correct errors that you have identified in your personal information, you may request that we take reasonable steps to attach a statement to the personal information noting the correction sought.
Security of information
21) Although we take reasonable steps to ensure personal information in our possession is protected and held securely, we do not make any warranties in relation to the security of any information you disclose or transmit to us and we are not responsible for the theft, destruction, or inadvertent disclosure of your personal information where our security measures have been breached. Any transmission of personal information is conducted at your own risk.
22) We generally hold your information in New Zealand. However, certain personal information may be transferred and/or stored outside of New Zealand by our third party service providers, such as Amazon Web Services who hosts our data in their servers in the United States, Singapore or Australia. Where personal information is disclosed to a third party outside of New Zealand and that third party will use or disclose the personal information for their own purposes, we will ensure that such third party is subject to comparable privacy laws to New Zealand or is required to protect the personal information in a way that is comparable to New Zealand’s privacy laws.
24) All information collected via cookies will be held by us. This information will not be made available to any third party in a manner that enables you to be identified. If you do not wish to allow cookies you may change your browser settings to disable cookies. However, if you disable cookies some parts of the website may not function properly.
Links to other sites
How to contact us
27) If you remain unsatisfied with our response or otherwise consider we may have breached our obligations under the Privacy Act 2020 you may wish to contact the Office of the Privacy Commissioner at: PO Box 10-094, The Terrace, Wellington 6143, phone 0800 803 909, or through https://www.privacy.org.nz/about-us/contact/.
All financial assets involve risk. Returns are not guaranteed. Aera does not provide advice or recommendations. You should consider seeking independent legal, financial, taxation or other advise when considering whether a financial asset is appropriate for your objectives, financial situation or needs.
Aera is not a registered bank. We are a financial services platform.
Aera is an initiative of the Aera Foundation, a charitable trust backing creative responses to social and environmental challenges. Aera Foundation is registered as CC50290 with the New Zealand Charities Commission.
The Aera financial services platform is provided by Aera 22 Opco Limited, and is registered on the Financial Services Providers Register (FSPR.govt.nz). FSP#1003388 and FSP#1003389